Monday, October 6, 2008

Reader Response #1

I'm excited about this new feature, as part of Monday Miscellany - a reader response to a particular question every month. In September, I asked you to tell me, What was the most memorable thing (good or bad) from a wedding you've attended? Here were some of your answers:

Michelle: When our friends got married last September, the priest announced that everyone should exit the church and then follow the bride and groom to a picturesque spot because they wanted a photo with all their guests. It was great! As a guest it was really special to be included like that.

Natalie: I went to my uncle's wedding last year, held on March 17 - St. Patrick's Day - and the groom's uncle gave him a chicken foot, dyed green for St. Patty's day, for good luck (eek!).

Yep - that's a real green chicken foot!

Carolina: The music! A friend of mine married on the beach and her "coming down the isle" song was Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwiwo'ole which is a very beachy version and it was amazing - to be on the beach and have that song playing was truly magical. Also another friend married in New York City and hired a Motown band (her family is from Detroit) and I swear I've never danced so much in my life. The music made the party - for me the music makes all the difference!

Jesse: I was at a wedding where the bride and groom exchanged gifts as part of the wedding ceremony. Neither one knew what the other was going to give. She gave him a box of letters that she had written him since they started dating. He gave her a flowerpot filled with soil from every place he had lived. She was barely able to keep from crying. What a sweet moment!

Rebekah: The most memorable experience was being kept waiting at the reception hall for two hours while the bride and the rest of the bridal party cleaned the church up (as in, removing everything, vacuuming, etc.).

Dana: At a recent wedding I attended the couple invited friends or family to give a blessing or piece of advice during the ceremony. The bride initially asked me (her cousin) and her best friend to prepare something to get the ball rolling - in the end, it was a love-fest and more than ten people got up to share some sweet sentiments. It eliminated lengthy toasts and added a really sweet element to the end of their ceremony which everyone really enjoyed hearing.

Daniella: Friends of ours had a Wii station set up at outside at the reception for anyone to play. We played it for the first time, and had a great time. It was a great idea to have something for guests to do that was out of the ordinary, interactive, and fun. It's also great if there will be a lot of younger people in attendance, as weddings for them can get boring.

Erica: The bride popped her gum and blew bubbles throughout the ceremony.

Rebecca: The ceremony was so meaningful and personal that no other detail mattered. What made the ceremony so meaningful was that officiant knew and loved the couple, and their vows were amazing. They left everyone sniffling by the end. I remember that the bride said she vowed to fall in love with her husband every single day because he would be a different person from one day to the next.

Amy: At my aunt's wedding (she's been married before and has two married daughters), as she and the groom drove away, her oldest daughter chased their car halfway down the street yelling, "Come back, who's going to take care of us!"

Heather: My most memorable is story from my own wedding. When priest went through our vows, my husband Brent went first. He repeated the priest line by line. Then he got to the line, "I, Brent, take you Heather to be my lawfully wedded wife." Brent began to repeat the line, "I, Brent, take you Heather.... to be... my awful wife." Then silence. He looked at me with total shock and then I realized that I didn't hear him incorrectly, he did call me his awful wife. Then the entire church busted up laughing. The priest could barely stand up he was laughing so hard. Then he said the congregation, "Well I knew this guy was a joker but I didn't expect that!" Brent apologized to me a couple of times and he asked if he could do it again, and we did, and it was perfect.


Thank you so much to everyone who sent in a response! Now here's the question for next month:

What did you learn from your own wedding day?

Email your responses to me at kathryn@snippetandink.com!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

We're thinking of doing the group picture, so I'm glad it was remembered fondly, not as a pain! My bottom line (and probably most peoples) is, if you make your guests wait... and wait, and wait, in between the ceremony and the reception (as you take pictures or do whatever) people will remember that. And, if you have a emotional ceremony, people will remember almost nothing BUT that. Awww...

October 6, 2008 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I too have a gorgeous place in mind at my venue for a group shot. I was hoping people wouldn't be annoyed that I wanted a full group shot. It is great to hear the guests even loved it. Wahoo!!

October 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger What he ate, what I ate. said...

Oh dear... the gum one is bad. My mother would have murdered me!

October 6, 2008 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger Mrs. in May said...

I LOVE the last one, so adorable!!!! And only cute because it was a real accident, not planned to be funny.

October 8, 2008 at 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always listen to your gut!

We should have listened to our guts and gone to Vegas, but I was so scared I'd miss "the fancy wedding".

I wouldn't have.

October 13, 2008 at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home