Saturday, January 31, 2009

Real Wedding Saturday: Laurel & Jedd

You may remember Laurel from her sweet bridal shower a few months back, or maybe you know her from her jewelry line, Laurel Denise. It's so fun to have her back on Snippet & Ink, this time sharing her wedding! I also thought I'd let Laurel share a little about how she and Jedd saved money in some places: Cut corners in some obvious places. I did my own makeup, after watching hours of You Tube tutorials and visiting the closest MAC store for some expert advice. My maid of honor is really great at makeup and I had a friend come and join us who's also great at it - they helped the bridesmaids while I did my own makeup. This is something some brides pay hundreds for and I was happy to save on this. I also swapped services with a friend of mine who is an amazing event coordinator (I designed all of the print materials for her wedding and she made my day happen without a hitch, at least not one that I knew about!). I also found a caterer who let me supply my own alcohol - I can't tell you how much this saved! There are many caterers out there who will do this, you jut have to ask!

And now, on to the photos!


Laurel and Jedd held their October wedding at the Oak Ridge Estate in Arrington, Virginia, and they couldn't stop raving about it - the beautiful scenery and the service were all they could have hoped for. Laurel suggests extending the cocktail hour to give guests more time to wander around the venue if it is especially beautiful - her guests couldn't stop raving about it!


Jedd surprised Laural with a pair of diamond earrings before the ceremony. Not only was the gift itself a beautiful surprise, but he wrapped it in keeping with the style of the day - with kraft paper and twine.


Laurel found two dresses that she liked, so she worked closely with the bridal shop to create a one-of-a-kind hybrid of the two, starting with a dress by Casa Blanca.




All of the flowers were arranged by Blue Ridge Floral Design.


Lemonade, iced tea, and bottled water were available for guests to cool down before the ceremony.




Laurel cross-stitched all of the signs herself, including the table numbers. Here are her thoughts on the projects she took on for the wedding: Everyone always says don't try to do everything, just take it easy and don't stress yourself out before your wedding. I do agree with that, but I also think that if you can plan wisely and not procrastinate on the small touches, then you should really try to do everything you can! For instance, I cross-stitched the table numbers and the reserved signs that were used in my reception and ceremony. People thought I was insane and maybe they were right, but if I hadn't done things like that (designing the invitations, hand-tying them all together, hand-stamping the seating cards, etc...), I would have been disappointed. Those creative things define me and I knew that they were important to me, so I started creating the table numbers 9 months before the actual wedding day! That way, I wasn't losing any sleep the week before and I could really get everything done without too many last minute break downs. I assigned myself something each day to do for the wedding and it really paid off.












Laurel designed all of the paper goods for the wedding, as well as cross-stitched all of the table numbers.




A caramel apple was placed at each guest's seat. The cake, by Hot Cakes, was chocolate with raspberry cream filling and piled high with fresh berries. (Laurel says she wishes that she and Jedd had practice cake cutting before the actually wedding!)




The reception was catered by Harvest Moon Catering, who really brought Laurel and Jedd's vision to life - fun food that was just a little dressed up, but not fussy.


DJ Derek Tobler kept guests dancing all night and was incredibly in tune to the mood of the party.

Thank you so much Laurel and Jedd for sharing your lovely day with us! And thank you to Meg Runion of Rob Garland Photographers for sharing these images (Laurel said that she's known since high school that she wanted to use Rob Garland Photographers for her wedding, and even changed the date of the wedding so that she could!). Oh, and also, right now Laurel is offering Snippet & Ink readers 30% off her jewelry line. Just enter coupon code laurel30 at checkout.

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger monologue said...

Laurel's needlepoint touches are wonderful. And that cake...wow! Did it taste as good as it looks?! :)

Martha B.

January 31, 2009 at 6:15 AM  
Blogger DomestiGals said...

What a gorgeous wedding! I LOVE the Hybrid dress idea - geniosity. Because one can never have too many wedding dresses...

xoxo, DomestiGal Jen

January 31, 2009 at 7:00 AM  
Blogger Laura@trendinozze said...

I agree with the bride, if it doesn't stress you too much you shoud try to do as much as you can to bring your personal touch into your day. And this came out beautifully!

January 31, 2009 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

My goodness, she was stunning! What a beautiful bride, venue, and wedding!

Martha, I've never had one of their wedding cakes, but Hot Cakes in Charlottesville does the best desserts ever. So I imagine that cake was every bit as good as it looked.

January 31, 2009 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Laurel, your wedding was gorgeous!!! The charming touches are so you. Love it.

January 31, 2009 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Maria @ {ritzy bee} said...

I love Laurel! :) Her wedding was so gorgeous!! :)

January 31, 2009 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Muffy said...

GORGEOUS!!!! I love her dress! It is JUST perfect!

January 31, 2009 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Michelle Alexandra said...

I love the stitching! I want to try but am nervous how it will turn out.

January 31, 2009 at 6:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The whole wedding is beautiful. I especially love the needlepoint and would like to do that myself as well as a nod to my grandmother who needlepoints but is too old to travel to my wedding. Did you use templates or patterns and where can I find them (especially the reserved sign). Thanks!

January 31, 2009 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Life Design Event Planning said...

What an amazing wedding! Everything from the location, the hybrid dress, the bride's hand-stitched touch, and the food were incredible, personal and memorable details. A beautiful event and an even beautiful couple.

Congrats Laurel & Jedd!

Cicely
:)

January 31, 2009 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger mrskeh said...

wow! that was seriously a dream wedding. i wish i could buy those signs - love them.

January 31, 2009 at 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to get married in VA! Perfect location.

January 31, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Andi said...

I loved the needlepoint! Chandra, I'm not sure what the bride did, but you can get templates of the alphabet in a variety of fonts that will let you design your words.

January 31, 2009 at 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That cake looks delicious. Then again, I love strawberries.

February 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments, everyone, and to Kathryn for such a sweet post!! If I open my photo proof books one more time, the books might actually begin to fall apart, so it was nice to get to see my favorites online instead!

For the numbers, I just printed out the font I wanted (I used Ecolier) in the correct size from Illustrator and then I traced that onto linen and sort of made up the rest. Once I made the number "1" one time, I could duplicate that for the rest of the numbers for consistency...helped make the project look clean. Then I pasted the linen to a wooden tag shape and punched a hole in the top for the string! If you have questions, feel free to email me at laurel [at] laureldenise.com.

February 1, 2009 at 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous wedding! Absolutely breathtaking!
Laurel, I have a question. Where did you find the old suitcase? Are you by any chance interested in selling it? My daughter is planning a travel theme for her reception and we are looking for a lovely old suitcase.

February 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Ten Thousand Only said...

stunning.

February 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger cassandra said...

those table numbers are incredibly sweet! and i bet perfectly reusable for future events... what a lovely and original wedding!

February 2, 2009 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger pixiedust said...

What a beautiful wedding!

February 3, 2009 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Ashlyn Carter said...

this wedding was too cute!! I love the look of the wedding and stiched details. so, so fab!

February 3, 2009 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger marnieleigh said...

I love all the sweet details and I totally agree that if you do them early, DIY projects are just projects full of love.
I heart Laurel's dress; anyone know who the designer is?

February 3, 2009 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The dress was by Casablanca. I combined two different dresses, filled in the lace on the sleeves and brought in the bottom half SO much. I'm only 5-feet tall so I can't really do the princess gown look, although it's absolutely beautiful on those who can wear it!

February 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Wow, what a breathtakingly beautiful wedding! So so lovely.

February 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

!!! that needlepoint alone is spectacular.

love, Em

http://wideopenspaces.squarespace.com/

February 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Loved this post! What gorgeous pictures. ♥

February 17, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home