Real Wedding: Amber & Mark
Amber and Mark's wedding proves that you don't have to break the bank to have a lovely wedding - they managed to plan theirs, with 200 guests and full of darling details, for under $15,000. "It would have been less, but I had to have the dress," says Amber. So let's see how they did it...

Amber splurged on a dress by Rivini. The bridesmaids wore dresses from Anthropologie.


Amber printed ceremony programs on her computer, covered them with card stock, and made yellow and white labels for the front.

Guests were invited to sign their names and write well-wishes on a vintage typewriter that came from Mark's family - Amber and Mark now have those pages hung in their home.

Children were a big part of the wedding day. From Amber: We couldn't choose just one ringbearer and flowergirl, so we had eight little ones walk down the aisle together holding hands. Some ran and some straggled behind, but it was very cute to have all of them involved.

The wedding took place at the 4H Center in Columbiana, Alabama. The first few pews were padded with heirloom quilts to mark them as V.I.P seats. Amber's uncle sang and played guitar for the ceremony, and a choir sang You've Got My Soul Singing by the Black Crowes as the couple walked back down the aisle as husband and wife.


Amber wrote guests names and table numbers on chocolate card stock and hung them from a clothesline for seating cards. Instead of a cooler, bottled refreshments stayed cool in a canoe.

Amber printed table numbers on her computer. Her aunt made table runners from yellow gingham sheets.

I couldn't resist this photo! Catered by Bernie's on Main, the menu consisted of Southern favorites: fried catfish, parmesan chicken fingers, fried green tomatoes, corn on the cob, green beans, sweet potato casserole, and cat head biscuits.

The kids' table was covered with kraft paper, so younger guests stayed busy with crayons. Jars full of candy made the table even more kid-friendly.

Five types of miniature pies took the place of traditional wedding cake. The dessert buffet also consisted of family favorites: Meme's chocolate oatmeal squares, Amy's peanut butter crunchies, and Aunt Tabby's chocolate oatmeal toffee cookies, among many others.


Amber covered hundreds of matchboxes with yellow gingham paper for guests to light sparklers as she and Mark made their getaway. For favors, Mark made CDs of songs that were meaningful to his and Amber's relationship.


Congratulations Amber and Mark! Thank you so much for sharing your wedding day with us, and all of these great details! And thank you to Ann Wade Parrish for sending over these photos!

Amber splurged on a dress by Rivini. The bridesmaids wore dresses from Anthropologie.


Amber printed ceremony programs on her computer, covered them with card stock, and made yellow and white labels for the front.

Guests were invited to sign their names and write well-wishes on a vintage typewriter that came from Mark's family - Amber and Mark now have those pages hung in their home.

Children were a big part of the wedding day. From Amber: We couldn't choose just one ringbearer and flowergirl, so we had eight little ones walk down the aisle together holding hands. Some ran and some straggled behind, but it was very cute to have all of them involved.

The wedding took place at the 4H Center in Columbiana, Alabama. The first few pews were padded with heirloom quilts to mark them as V.I.P seats. Amber's uncle sang and played guitar for the ceremony, and a choir sang You've Got My Soul Singing by the Black Crowes as the couple walked back down the aisle as husband and wife.


Amber wrote guests names and table numbers on chocolate card stock and hung them from a clothesline for seating cards. Instead of a cooler, bottled refreshments stayed cool in a canoe.

Amber printed table numbers on her computer. Her aunt made table runners from yellow gingham sheets.

I couldn't resist this photo! Catered by Bernie's on Main, the menu consisted of Southern favorites: fried catfish, parmesan chicken fingers, fried green tomatoes, corn on the cob, green beans, sweet potato casserole, and cat head biscuits.

The kids' table was covered with kraft paper, so younger guests stayed busy with crayons. Jars full of candy made the table even more kid-friendly.

Five types of miniature pies took the place of traditional wedding cake. The dessert buffet also consisted of family favorites: Meme's chocolate oatmeal squares, Amy's peanut butter crunchies, and Aunt Tabby's chocolate oatmeal toffee cookies, among many others.


Amber covered hundreds of matchboxes with yellow gingham paper for guests to light sparklers as she and Mark made their getaway. For favors, Mark made CDs of songs that were meaningful to his and Amber's relationship.


Congratulations Amber and Mark! Thank you so much for sharing your wedding day with us, and all of these great details! And thank you to Ann Wade Parrish for sending over these photos!
Labels: Budget Friendly Ideas, Real Weddings

31 Comments:
I love the typewriter idea!
Beautiful wedding!
this wedding is unbelievable... i love it! thanks for posting.
I, too, love the typewriter guest list! Proof once again that you don't have to spend a lot to have a wedding full of fabulous detail!
This is a really cute wedding! However, I have to ask, how on earth is spending $15K considered being on a tight budget? That blows my mind...
Wow the theme for this wedding was so simple but gorgeous! I love yellow gingham and light blue together.
I'm sorry... rereading that makes it sound awful! I didn't mean it like that! We are having SEVERAL of those same details, and quite a few more, and doing it for 200 guests. The big difference? We're doing it for 3K. That's a fifth. I just don't even know how I would spend twelve thousand more dollars!
what a gorgeous wedding!
I love the typewriter as well.
What a great wedding! I feel so inspired after seeing their fabulous DIY projects!
:)
Lovely, I appreciate showing wedding that are budget friendly and still have a sizable amount of guests. Thank you.
Such lovely details.
Wow... I love this wedding! So classy yet sassy. Nice color palette and simplistic feel. Love it!
Ashley-
I'd say it *really* depends on your location. Big time. Out here in SF, I was impressed (not disbeliving, but impressed) that they did all this for 200 geusts (with food!) for $15K. I wish that wasn't the case here, but it is.
Which brings me to my question for Kathryn: where was this wedding?
Lovely!
Meg
Weddings like this make me, at least momentarily, drop my generally ironic approach to life.
Hi Meg! The wedding took place in Columbiana, Alabama, outside of Birmingham.
Love the typewriter idea. cute!
i LOVE the details of this wedding - the ceremony program covers, the wrapped matchboxes, the typewriter, the place cards... what a great wedding! thanks for sharing this!
Thank you for reminding everyone that it is completely possible to have a beautiful, personal wedding on a small(er) budget without hacking your guest list down to 25 people! I'm having nearly 300 guests for my reception (although I don't have to spend any money on the ceremony due to it's location of the Mormon temple) on a $15,000 budget and it's going to be totally fab!
Great details :-)
The canoe and the seating card thing - never thought of those simple things... And they look amazing!
I'm totally considering stealing the canoe idea.
It's nice to see that a little DIY work and a lot of planning can result in something that looks just as good as a huge budget wedding.
I would agree with the poster who said that pricing depends so much on your location. While I would not consider $15K a huge budget, I'm planning to spend $5K less than that for a wedding that's also in the south. I guess the designer dress could make up most of that difference.
Man, 4 out of 5 of these (really cool) ideas were ones that I was thinking of doing at my August 2009 wedding (ie typewriter, mason jars, clothesline/pins). Does that make a bit copycat? Argh. Love this wedding...
I am blown away by all of the wonderful comments on our wedding! I put a lot of time and hard work into making our wedding as personal as I could and having so many people appreciate the little details is proof that a little elbow grease (and tears) is totally worth it. It was a day Mark and I will never forget!
ps. I live in a part of Alabama that is emmersed in "old money". Everyone here seems to spend $100,000 plus on their weddings. I worked in a bridal salon, a stationares and a jewelry store working with those $100,000 brides. So, yes. A $15,000 dollar wedding is a wedding on a budget, especially with 200 guests. It's all about putting your attention on the details. Whether they be plastic lawn chairs or chiavari chairs, as long as you make your details personal and cohesive you'll knock um dead!
i love the sparkers drawing hearts. and the kids table. i would like to have been seated there.
I love that picture of the bride chowing down. Most brides don't even get a chance to eat so I'm glad this couple actually sat down and ate the food they paid so much for and thought so carefully about. Plus, that menu sounded tasty!
Love all the rustic, homey touches. And that dessert bar is KILLING me right now. Yum!
JUST BEAUTIFUL! I love this one.
Now THIS is my kind of wedding! How gorgeous. I love, love, LOVE all of the handmade things here. Very creative and fun wedding. Thank you for sharing this with us :)
what a gorgeous wedding.. some of the ideas were simply inspired
What a darling wedding! Thank you for featuring this one... I love this couple's unique sense of style and whimsy.
Wow, i just love this whole thing.
The photos are phenominal. You are a great photographer. Where did you learn, and where do you get your inspiration?
What great dresses! I love the style all around.
I love this wedding! Such cute details. And I'm wondering.. is there any way to find out where they found the flower girl's brown and white polka dot dress? Its so cute! If you know, I would love to know too! :)
we're totally going to sit on the bed of our truck for our get -a-way!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home