Thursday, December 10, 2009

Real Wedding: Ashley & Michael

Here I am, running late again. Some days I'm totally on top of things, and other days I'm, well, not. But I do hope you feel the posts are worth the wait!

The day after I posted last week's "Keep It Simple" inspiration board, I got an email from one of my favorite photographers, Leo Patrone, because he had shot Ashley and Michael's lovely wedding in October, and thought it fit perfectly with that inspiration board: a city hall ceremony, a dinner party reception, all in San Francisco!




How cute are these love notes on a chalkboard wall in the entrance of the couple's home?






I think you all know what a sucker I am for balloons...


I love how joyful she is here!






People ask me what to do with your bouquet during the ceremony if you choose not to have any attendants. Simple! Just turn around and hand it to someone in the first row, like your father (I love that shot).






After the ceremony at San Francisco's city hall, the couple took their guests on a tour of the city's most picturesque spots, in a classic old cable car. With snacks! Guests nibbled on organic popcorn, vegan doughnut holes and lavender short bread cookies, all locally made.




Dinner took place in a private dining room at Spruce, decorated with tons of pillar candles. Everyone enjoyed a five-course tasting menu, planned by the restaurant's chefs and sommeliers for the wedding.


The darling cake was inspired by the design on Ashley and Michael's invitations.

Invitations: eco-friendly letterpress by Bella Figura*

Flowers: Natalie Bowen Designs

Bride's dress: Elizabeth Fillmore at Mark Ingram Bridal Atelier

Shoes: Pedro Garcia from Yoox

Ceremony venue: San Francisco City Hall

Cable car rental: Classic Cable Car Sightseeing

Reception venue: Spruce, San Francisco

Wooden place cards: sustainably harvested birch wood by Night Owl Paper Goods

Cake: Flours

Wedding Planning / Custom favor labels: Downey Street Events

Thank you so much to Ashley and Michael for sharing their beautiful wedding with us - best wishes to you! And thank you to Leo Patrone for thinking of Snippet & Ink and sending over these beautiful photos (I can't even tell you how tough it was to narrow it down to these few, there were so many great shots to choose from).

*Bella Figura is one of Snippet & Ink's sponsors.

Labels:

43 Comments:

Anonymous chelsea said...

This is super sweet. I LOVE!

December 10, 2009 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Jessamyn Harris said...

what a fantastic wedding! it is making me smile so big. we were married in a private ceremony at SF City Hall and met our families afterwards, but I absolutely love how these two did it. gorgeous!

December 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM  
Anonymous Cyd said...

Once again wishing I had gotten married in a courthouse. This wedding is sensational! (And naturally, I love seeing our Bella Figura invitations turned into a cake!)

December 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I think it's safe to say that San Francisco City Hall is an exceptionally beautiful place for a civil ceremony...

December 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger KATIE said...

This is my idea of perfect wedding. Spectacular. If only I could have persuaded my traditional mother...

December 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Joanna Goddard said...

this is really fabulous!!!! they look so happy!

December 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Those were amazing photographs. They really pulled off the SF look without making it look like too much of a cleché.

December 10, 2009 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

*Sigh* This is my ideal wedding. Mine is going to end up being larger and more complicated, but to me this is perfect. Thanks for posting it.

December 10, 2009 at 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

I love the bride's earrings! What a beautiful couple and awesome photos!

December 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger Patricia Shepard said...

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. I love all the details.

December 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger The Wedding Outlet said...

What a sweet message...love the chalkboards!

December 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Simple...yet beautiful.

December 10, 2009 at 3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how this wedding celebrates SF, and I'm so happy to see it was planned by Downey Street! I've met the gals at DSE, and they are the absolute best, most creative wedding planners on the planet! It totally makes sense that they planned this wedding...

December 10, 2009 at 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Ann said...

What a beautiful bride and such a joyful day to share! I love the one of her and the balloons. This guy is a great photographer!

December 10, 2009 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

I love San Francisco ... it's so beautiful! And the photographer did an amazing job capturing the essence of the city and the personality of the couple. Amazing!

December 10, 2009 at 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Sara Sheehy Photography said...

I would LOVE to have my reception at the restaurant. I have yet to figure out why New Hampshire can't be more like San Francisco... ;)

December 10, 2009 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Very stunning and classy. As always, I'm a fan of Leo's work as a photographer. He's fantastic.

December 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Downey Street Events said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Downey Street Events said...

Thank you so much for posting this, Kathryn! This wedding was so much fun to design and plan. Ashley and Mike are the most generous, thoughtful people on earth and this small wedding was just bursting with love. Congrats Ashley and Mike!

December 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger youngmi said...

i love that it's so different and still so beautiful. and the most beautiful part is that everyone is bursting with laughter :) thanks for sharing!

December 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM  
Anonymous The Blogsmaid said...

I never knew a city hall could be so beautiful!!!

December 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Jo Ann said...

Wow...fabulous!

December 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Vicki Grafton Photography said...

I'm a sucker for the balloons too and those green ones are lovely!

December 10, 2009 at 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

what a charming couple!

December 10, 2009 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love how you are posting small weddings lately. and I LOVE how you keep telling us to do a few things well. thank you for being simple, and making it feel like it should be simple and nice.

cheers! you're great, and you do a great job.

December 10, 2009 at 11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! Congrats to the couple!
I love the pic of her father holding her flowers, nearly mad me cry.

December 11, 2009 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger shanon said...

This is the most gorgeous wedding I've seen in a long time! Wow. I love the greens and the cake... and just about everything.

December 11, 2009 at 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything is fantastic...especially those shoes! Anyone know who makes them?

December 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Love Peace Pionies said...

So lovely photos..
Love the balloons!!!

Kristina

December 11, 2009 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Love everything about this wedding!! Simple, with beautiful details. Perfect :)

(I also LOVE the photo of the bride with the balloons - so happy!)

December 11, 2009 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really love this! Fits perfectly with some of the stuff we were talking about yesterday - traditional, simple, special... Great SF ideas! :) And let's go to Spruce!

December 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger Meg Sylvia said...

This is so GORGEOUS! Very chic.

December 11, 2009 at 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post! The perfect San Francisco wedding! So simple and beautiful!

December 12, 2009 at 4:00 AM  
Anonymous Linda@WhitePaintStudio said...

Natalie Bowen's flowers are stunning!!

December 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Violet said...

This wedding is breathtaking! My favorite picture is the one of the couple kissing with the bridge in the background.

December 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Sugar & Spice Event Design said...

These shot show the simplicity of love personified. Thank you for sharing!

December 13, 2009 at 5:59 AM  
Blogger Coretta said...

Wow. I love San Fran's City Hall and this couple used it in a simple lovely way. The cable car and candlelight are divine too. And the shot of dad with the bouquet is my favorite. Thanks for sharing this one.

December 13, 2009 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I never imagined a city hall wedding could be this beautiful and reflective of the couple's personality. The details are wonderful. I have to say I'm loving the bride's shoes as well. They look somewhat vintage... anyone have an idea who they're by?

December 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Alright, have to know! What size balloons does one look for to get that look? And where and how much helium and...i think that's it. :)

--also balloon obsessed.

December 13, 2009 at 11:26 PM  
Anonymous mindcastle said...

ooohh so nice! love the balloons and the colors!

-danielle

December 13, 2009 at 11:44 PM  
Blogger Downey Street Events said...

Leslie - we found the balloons for Ashley and Mike on this website:

http://www.balloonsfast.com/36inchlatexballoons.html

They are 36 inches. We thought they were going to take a lot more helium than they did when we first used them for a bride, however one medium-sized tank is more than enough for 5 balloons (80-125 cubic feet per tank). We have filled as many as 12 balloons from one like this. The ones we rent cost from 40-55 dollars per tank, depending on where you rent them. So glad you like them - thanks to Snippet & Ink for posting the great pictures!a

December 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM  
Blogger shihtzus4life said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I know this is a strange question, but does anyone know Where did the groom get his suit?

December 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger karla said...

LOVE that cake!

December 15, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home