Saturday, January 9, 2010

Real Wedding: Megan & Andrew

When I was in Birmingham at the A Bryan Photo workshop, I had the pleasure of meeting a number of talented photographers, including Kristopher Orr who shot today's wedding. I thought for the first real wedding feature of 2010, this Hawaiian getaway might be a nice escape for everyone who is ready for some warmer weather. Though the couple lives in British Columbia, the groom has family in Hawai'i, so it was a natural choice for them to get married there. The lovely bride, Megan, shared a bit about why she and Andrew opted for an intimate destination wedding:

As long as I can remember, I always imagined having a destination wedding. Immediately after Andrew proposed, we knew it would be Hawaii for two reasons. First, we knew it would be about us and only the most important people in our lives would make the effort to come. Secondly, my family had never taken a trip together - my Mother had barely left Canada, so it was the greatest excuse to give her a well-deserved vacation. Looking back, I wouldn’t change a thing. It was perfect.

And now, the pictures!


Megan, Andrew and their guests hopped on a plane for a short flight from Oahu to the Big Island, where their ceremony would take place at the Kona Temple.






Andrew's mother, father, and cousin and Megan's mother attended the ceremony, and Andrew's mother surprised the couple with traditional leis: a maile lei for Andrew and a haku lei for Megan.


The wedding party gets a shot under this amazing umbrella tree.


After flying back to Honolulu after the ceremony, Andrew and Megan celebrated with 9 guests at Sam Choy's.


Megan shares a favorite moment: The absolute best part was the Hawaiian band that just happened to be located right beside our table. They sang everything from love songs to comedic interludes. They played our first dance and entertained us the entire evening. It was way better than having hired a band and so unexpectedly memorable.


Though Andrew and Megan didn't plan to have a traditional wedding cake, their families surprised them with one purchased at Dee Lite Bakery in Waipahu.















Ceremony venue: Kona Temple

Reception venue: Sam Choy's

Maile lei: Watanabe Floral

Haku lei: Waipahu Florist

Bride's dress: custom made

Happiest wishes to you, Megan and Andrew! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful wedding with us - further evidence that a simple wedding can be just perfect. In fact, Megan shared this sound advice: Remember the reason for the day. Don’t start your marriage off by going into debt if you can help it. The only things that should last forever is your marriage and your photography – everything else is just details.

Thank you, too, to the talented Kristopher Orr for sharing his work with us - you can bet that we'll be seeing much more of his photography in the future. You can also see more gre
at photos from Andrew and Megan's wedding on Kristopher's blog.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Kate said...

I look out of my window to see 5 inches of snow - makes me want to be in Hawaii even more!

Gorgeous photos and a perfect couple.

January 9, 2010 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

i love her comment and their wedding...delightful!

January 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Canlas said...

RIGHT ON! Kristopher is AWESOME!

January 9, 2010 at 9:22 AM  
Anonymous Kate said...

This is so awesome. I love it

January 9, 2010 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger sharibug said...

Kristopher you did an awesome job of capturing the essence of their beautiful day. I am here in Hawaii now and I know of the place they jumped off into the water in their wedding clothes. Now that was a real touch of class!

January 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Jessica F said...

Amazing Wedding Pictures!!! LOVE them!!

January 9, 2010 at 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

Oh this looks IDEAL! I could so go for something like this.

January 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM  
Anonymous kc said...

This is great! I grew up in Kona and am getting married on Oahu. More Hawaii weddings!

January 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

Woah, that's the best photo-op tree I've ever seen. And one of the most playful photo shoots I've ever seen. Kudos.

January 9, 2010 at 3:52 PM  
Anonymous Lauren @ Every Last Detail said...

Oh wow I love this wedding! It's so...Hawaii! Seriously, it's a totally different world and lifestyle over there. :) Thanks for sharing the beauty!

January 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger ~L~ said...

Dang. It has been so hard for me to find a good LDS dress. Something with sleeves but megans dress is BEAUTIFUL. And love the photos!

January 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Punctuation Mark said...

Never seen anyone jumping to the ocean in a wedding gown... that's the best thing you can do with it after the big day... :)

January 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I just found your blog via brown button and HELLO NURSE - I love your blog!
I found myself smiling while I was reading your posts.
Just thought I'd let you know... :-)

January 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM  
Anonymous James Dvorscak said...

Thanks for sharing these images from the talented Kristopher Orr. The beach shots (jumping off the cliff and walking out of the water) are my favorites.

January 9, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger amber8184 said...

Ack! The picture of her in the plane aisle... and them jumping off the cliff... AMAZING! Love love love!

January 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I wish I would have known you were in Birmingham! I would have taken you out for a drink!

January 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

I love the "taking the plunge" photos! What a beautiful couple and amazing destination wedding! Thanks for sharing.

January 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

My thoughts as I scrolled through these pictures:
1. Who thought a PLANE could but such a cute backdrop for pictures...
2. Wow, Hawaii is a lot more interesting (i.e. less palm tree more ancient lush verdure) than I thought
3. What a cute cake!
4. Jumping off a cliff!? What the what!?
5. Absolutely adorable and one of a kind
Thanks for sharing!

January 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Dani @ Weddings Fresh said...

love that huge tree and LOVE that they jumped into the ocean!! wonderful wedding.

January 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How has no one else mentioned how hot the groom was? Geez.

January 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM  
Blogger April said...

OK, the cliff jump into the ocean wearing wedding clothes? Yeah. That effing beats ALL trash the dress photos I've seen up to now.

AWESOMENESS!!

January 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

How fun! I love all of the personalized details of this gorgeous wedding, especially their leap!

January 13, 2010 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger A Bryan Photo said...

Incredible!
Great work Kristopher!

January 14, 2010 at 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Sherisa (L'élephant Rose) said...

when i saw them jump the tears came instantly! haha i love this wedding. that's what it's all about. god bless them! :)

February 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home